Wednesday, April 13, 2011

First Day of School...

Yesterday I had my first photography class in the International Center of Photography taught by Andrea Blanche and its title: Fashion and Vision.
I registered for the class because I wanted to explore the facets of fashion photography. When I first went in for a portfolio review, I was told I was overqualified for the class and that I would be taking a step backwards by taking it, but somehow I wasn't convinced. My heart was telling me to take the class because somehow it would be beneficial to me. I felt I could learn a lot. I also wanted to hear from someone in the industry that I am overqualified. After all, this is the first official photography class I have taken besides the black and white film photography class in high school and the one digital course in City Tech as a requirement in Communications Design.

We had two speakers, Jaime Pallot from Conde Nast Digital and Scott Shulman, the Sartorialist. Scott's story was very inspiring because I find myself making a lot of the same decisions as he and realizing, I don't know much about the technical aspects of photography. Like him, I don't think, I just do.

We were asked to brand ourselves and I left the class wondering, just who is LaGata Photography? What am I representing? What am I trying to become? These are serious questions that need answering because once I decide and answer, that's what I will become and that's what I will have to stand by.

Naturally, there is homework to be done. Our first assignment is to take two photos, one of clothes on a person and one of clothes not on a person. I have an idea for it, but I don't want to spoil it until I have actually shot what I have in mind.

The second assignment is to take a photograph that inspires us and make it our own using a theme. I have chosen Sally Mann as my inspiration. She is bold and dares people to look inside themselves. Again, I have an idea and I even have the models and so if you know Sally Mann's work, you will immediately know what I am going for and even who my models will be.

We were also asked to keep a photo journal, taking photos everyday in any and every aspect of our lives. I will post those soon! =0.)

I am still practicing my french in hopes of working abroad as a photographer and hosting photo shoots while there. Both Jaime and Scott agreed that in Europe, there are more opportunities to break into the business and be artistic in approach, but America has more money to give. So for me, this confirmed that my decision to move abroad for a few months and following my heart, is the best thing for me.

Last Sunday, I had a fun shoot with an engaged couple who are getting married in August, Nana & Charles. We shot their engagement photos and had a great time getting to know one another. Though I loved shooting them, I realized that shooting engagement and probably weddings are not for me. I will shoot their wedding because because they're sweethearts and I promised, and also because I was referred by another amazing photographer, Kwaku, but I wholeheartedly believe it's not for me.

On Monday I shot, Tim Lau, a bio-chemist major (sorry Tim if that's incorrect, I warned I am not good with science majors.. lol) at St. John's, who loves to model when he is not busy stuck under a lab report or studying for an intensive test. We had a great time roaming the meat packing district and just picking spots to shoot at.

I will post up some of those pictures from the engagement and Tim's shoot soon.

Stay tuned for my homework assignments because I will post them soon as well. =0.)

No comments:

Post a Comment