Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fashion Photography Homework #2: Project 1

So for this assignment, we were asked to do an ad inspired by a name brand we like in 3 photos, a tight, medium and long shot. I was inspired by the Louis Vuitton luggage ads because I simply love to travel and I felt it encompassed the romance of traveling.
I unfortunately do not (yet) own a Louis Vuitton luggage/trunk, so I used a vintage, green trunk I had from a previous shoot which even though it's not name brand I love it.
I was fortunate however to have an amazing friend (Robert Krevolin) who let me borrow his apartment while he was at work because I fell in love with his living room set up and the color of his couch. I was also fortunate to be in contact with Jubei Raziel, a former Ford model & current photographer/videographer (www.DevilMayCryInRain.com) through White Train (www.whitetrain.com) who agreed to model for this homework assignment.

A lot of thought went into this homework assignment.
Perhaps too much.
I will tell you why after you view the photographs.



Louis Vuitton luggage campaign ads above were shot by the fabulous Annie Leibovitz.

Now I certainly was not trying to copy Annie's technique because for a novice like myself, that would be nearly impossible. However I was trying to capture a mood, I wanted people to feel like packing up their bags and go somewhere. I wanted men to want to be this guy below.



My professor pretty much chastised me for this assignment.
So here is where I may have over thought this. I put so much emphasis on the things going into the luggage, I forgot to showcase the luggage. I was so much enthralled with having men want to be this man, I forgot to show the luggage on its own.
I was chastised not because the work was bad, but because it wasn't an ad, it was an editorial.

Oops!

I still personally love these shots, they will just now go under my portfolio as editorial shots, not an ad.  =0.)

No comments:

Post a Comment