Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fashion Photography Homework #3: Project 1

For this assignment, my professor asked us to collaborate with a fellow photographer to create a 6 page editorial spread. What a clusterfuck!

Here's why:

I was asked by my classmate Vera to collaborate with her on the assignment. Vera is a sweet Serbian girl who has a great and different style of photography than my own and so I logically agreed. I figured I could learn from her and learn to configure my style.


In the midst of this, I had already booked a flight to Miami to visit my family because my younger brother Jon was going away into the army. So there was no way, I was going to miss seeing him off. So that limited my free time to work on the actual shoot while working a full time job.

So me and Vera set up a date to meet at Starbucks to talk ideas through. What none of us realized prior to the acceptance of said collaboration was the fact that we had different brainstorming styles. Never mind shooting styles... She visualized things first and wrapped a concept around it. I work in the opposite direction.

So on the first day we agreed to shoot in the style of Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo... sounds awesome, right? Yes, we thought so too, until we realized how little time we had and how much resources we would need to pull to get it done.

After much debate, we decided on a fashionable version of Children's Games. We decided to do hula hoop, jump rope, hopscotch, hide and seek and telephone. What we didn't do and decide on is who would shoot it.
We thought that we needed to each shoot the photographs, but sadly, we were mistaken.

We paid dearly for that one with our professor criticizing our every mistake. Our mistakes were, but not limited to, different lighting and different posing. I stylized my shots to be more playful and Vera more fashionable.

It didn't help that I shot my photographs in Miami and Vera here in NYC.. I also shot some here in the city too with a male model, and that is where my professor too criticized my work personally.


Here are our shots:




The last two shots, I was criticized on because the colors were different.. the left popped with colors, the right not so much, but that was my objective. To show vibrant South Beach and cool New York. Either way, the shoot was a flop.

What me and Vera should have done was decided who was going to do the art direction and who was going to do the shooting. Since Vera was more technical than myself, I would have done the art direction. Too bad, neither of us realized sooner.

Now if it was just me putting together the shoot, this is what my version would have looked like:




Only a slight difference, but then all the lighting matches since I used only natural lighting and the styling is the same with all the photographs having the same style specs.

Another Lesson Learned from this assignment.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your blog. I know nothing about photography and I feel like I'm getting a mini class with each post. Especially when you take other shots and compare them with yours and what you were trying to capture. Keep it up mi amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mama... yeah I took a note from you and have decided to be honest and truthful even if I don't like it. I figured maybe others can learn from my photograph blunders.. lol.

    ReplyDelete