Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fashion Photography Homework #3: Project 2

So for this assignment, we were asked to do a controversial ad. Most of my classmates groaned while I smiled uncontrollably from ear to ear. Finally, something I know and can do very well. At least I thought I did, until I took the train home and started to brainstorm.

Coming up with controversial ideas, sure, not a problem. Trying to incorporate such ideas into fashion... ah-ha... ah-ha, like the old jewish man in "Coming to America."
That was gimmick.
I thought of David LaChappelle and Robert Mapplethorpe and Sally Mann. Shit, even Annie Leibovitz. None of them were really, truly inspiring me and no one else I knew personally did controversial photography, only paintings and mixed media.

So I sat down to brainstorm with Robert Dumé, director of the first independent film set I photographed for, and after bouncing a few ideas back and forth. Nothing really stuck, but then it hit me, "what if we photographed an old man and a young girl?" Nah, that sucks and it's been done I bet. So, "what if we photographed an older woman and a young man for an underwear ad in a provocative pose?" Ding, ding. We had a winner.

The first thing I did was hit up a close friend who is always down to shoot anything controversial for me, Kelvin. He agreed without so much hearing the whole of the idea.
Now, next to find an older woman. I asked one of my aunts and she agreed because it was for me and it was for homework and for my future.

Everything went in line for this shoot, from getting wardrobe, to hair and make up which I did (I was very proud of myself for that) and most importantly the location. A friend of mine, Carolina, agreed to let us use her very modern apartment on 42nd Street to shoot. She too, had no idea what kind of photo shoot it was except that it was a controversial one.

In the end, my professor loved it and I finally felt like I was back in her good graces.

Here is the finished product, with a tag line I created for this and all:




No comments:

Post a Comment