Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Fashion Photography Homework #2: Project 2

My professor asked that we take a stylized shot and a snapshot. I thought I understood the assignment, but after seeing other people's work, I realized, I didn't.
Here's someone's rough definition:
"A “snapshot” can be taken of anything and of varying quality (composition, exposure, etc.) Usually a “snapshot” is a quick rough capture to document a scene or event. A “photograph” on the other hand is a well thought, composed, exposed and executed art form..."


 Stylized shot by Jill Greenberg (who is known for achieving these shots by enticing children with candy then taking the candy away at just the right time):

 
 Here is an example of a snap shot shot by someone else:


Here is my misunderstood version, Stylized:


Snapshot:


So essentially, they are very much the same shot as per my professor. I didn't realize the difference until the day I showed this in class.
Luckily, I wasn't the only one who misunderstood and I really felt that if the professor had shown us some examples of what a "stylized" shot was versus a "snapshot" prior to us doing the homework, most of us would have done a better job.

Actually come to think of it, the same goes for the ad vs the editorial. I didn't realize there was a difference until after my blunder. Lesson learned though and hopefully some of you will learn from mistakes as well. =0.)

2 comments:

  1. I love Jill Greenberg's series! I think, if I am not mistaken, she shot Gwen Stefani for her album covers the same after (after her kid's series, of course), I loved how she utilized photoshop to make the colors and the textures pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.. I love Jill Greenberg's work as well, she turned something that's usually frowned upon into something beautiful.. I don't know if she shot for Gwen, but I wouldn't be surprised... hehe..

    ReplyDelete