Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fashion Photography Homework: Project 2

For this homework, my professor asked us to shoot a short series of two photographs inspired by another photographer/photograph. I was initially inspired by Sally Mann who shoots her own children in a very provocative and mature way and I wanted to shoot my nieces with red lipstick holding wine glasses with grape juice, however my brother and his wife did not want their daughters perceived in such a way (their right to refuse).  So I went with another photographer who inspires me, Richard Avedon. I chose Avedon's umbrella photograph and created my version of it and I later found out, Avedon was inspired by Hungarian photographer Martin Munkacsi. So it only made sense to pay my own homage and used my youngest niece for the photograph. She was quite the model!

And I don't say she was quite the model because she was my niece, but she was a very ideal model to have on set and in some instances better than some of the adult models I have had. She listened to direction and went for it despite the fact that she was a little scared. She was holding this huge umbrella that was twice the size of her on a windy day and when her mom and I asked her to jump over the curb, she did, even though she was afraid. Brave girl.

And here it is:
Martin Munkacsi's, "The Puddle Jumper," 1934


Richard Avedon,  "Homage to Munkasci," 1957


My, "Homage to Avedon," 2011

Model: Amory Kate Garcia, Age 4.

The above two photos are the ones I showed to my professor and my classmates. My professor loved it and thought it would get me hired for a children's clothing ad.
Baby Gap, perhaps?

Here are more photos from that shoot:





Was I wrong in saying, she is quite the model? =0.)

No comments:

Post a Comment